In this post we look at the young talent that sit within teams who are currently in the Europa League ahead of Thursday's treble match day. The aim is to find some gems who have a potential to be performance buzz dividend winners on Thursday. As there are many contenders this will be hard so we are also looking for players who are cheap, playing well regularly(ideally in top 5 leagues and therefore continual performance buzz hopes) and ideally some have some January transfer buzz. The aim is to buy and keep for a month or two hopefully picking up both dividends and a nice price increase.
We have looked at the whoscored player ratings for the Europa league and picked out the best performers who are also young/cheap and likely to play both on Thursday and in their league moving forward. Here are our best picks:-
- Leandro Trossard - Genk - Currently priced £1.54 - The left winger has just turned 24 so hardly a youngster but has been on fire so far this season scoring 9 goals & 3 assists in 14 Belgian league games, and 7 goals 3 assists in 8 Europa League & qualifier games picking up a rating of 8.09(2nd highest). He has also been linked with a January move to Arsenal, if that doesn't happen we would expect major interest from other European clubs. Genk have qualified already but need a win to finish top of their group(and avoid Champions League teams such as Inter & Napoli) so he will probably feature on Thursday.
- Dayot Upamecano - RB Leipzig - Current price £1.95 - The 20 year old defender is rated as one of the best prospects in Europe, he has played regular football this season with 10 Bundesliga & 4 Europa League games. Should continue to be a performance buzz hope in future and has been linked with Southampton this week(expect bigger teams to show interest too). RB Leipzig need to win and hope Celtic lose against their sister club Red Bull Salzburg so would expect that he features on Thursday.
- Evan Ndicka - Frankfurt - Current price £1.14 - The 19 year old defender has played regularly for Frankfurt this season following his move from Auxerre with 17 games already. Frankfurt have already qualified with maximum points and therefore he may be a rotation risk for thursday but should be a regular dividend & price rise prospect in future. This one is probably a more long term pick as he is unlikely to be involved in transfer activity so soon after joining the club.
- Marin Pongracic - Red Bull Salzburg - Current price £0.86 - The 21 year old Croatian central defender has been a regular playing 20 games this season. Salzburg have already qualified in top place so may rotate however they a clear at the top of the league in Austria and may want to do RB Leipzig a favour by beating Celtic.
- Hannes Wolf - Red Bull Salzburg - current price - £1.56 - The 19 year old attacking midfielder who has been dubbed the 'new Christian Eriksen' has played 22 games so far this season with 5 goals & 9 assists and already clocked up 71 first team appearances(17 goals, 18 assists). This week he has been linked with Everton, Arsenal & Tottenham so expect some January transfer buzz. Salzburg have already qualified in top place so may rotate however they a clear at the top of the league in Austria and may want to do RB Leipzig a favour by beating Celtic.
- Matheus Cunha - RB Leipzig - Current price £1.61 - The 19 year old Brazilian forward/winger has featured in every one of RB's Europa League/qualifier games this season scoring 5 goals and despite starting only 2 league games(+7 as sub) scored a bundesliga goal. Having only just joined RB at the start of the season for £13.5m i wouldn't expect much transfer buzz but he is a very bright prospect.
- Kai Havertz - Leverkusen - Current price £3.84 - The 19 year old German wonderkid is hardly a hidden gem being well established but he has 3 goals and 3 assist in 3 starts already in the Europa League. He is well established in the Bundesliga having contributed to 29 goals(11 goals/18 assists) from 68 games so should continue to pick up some performance dividends, would also expect some transfer speculation in January. Leverkusen have already qualified but do need a win to secure top spot so its questionable as to whether he will start. A solid investment for the long term.
- Leo Jaba - PAOK - Current price £1.06 - This 20 year old Brazilian forward/winger has featured in 4 out of 5 Europa League games including staring with 2 goals & 2 assists away at BATE who they now play at home in a must win game.
- Konrad Laimer - RB Leipzig - Current price £0.86 - The versatile 21 year old defensive midfielder who can play anywhere in midfield or right back has played every minute for RB in the Europa League with 1 goal/1 assist and a whoscored rating of 7.53. Expect him to feature in this must win game but has been used mostly as a sub in the Bundesliga(4 starts/6 sub appearances).
- Joakim Maehle - Genk - Current price £0.91 - This 21 year old Danish full back has played every minute of Genk's Europa league campaign thusfar with 3 assists and a whoscored rating of 7.48, he has also played in all 18 league games(17 from the start). Genk have qualified already but need a win to finish top of their group(and avoid Champions League teams such as Inter & Napoli) so he will probably feature on Thursday.
- Patrick Cutrone - Milan - Current price £2.56 - The 20 year old Italian striker has been in fine form in the Europa League this season with 4 goals in 4 games(only 2 starts) for Milan and a whoscored rating of 7.32, 2 of these goals were from the bench against Thursday's opponent Olympiacos. He also has 3 goals in the league despite most of his 13 appearances coming from the bench and has made his International debut for Italy.
- Santiago Caseres - Villareal - Current price £1.04 - This 21 year old Argentine defensive midfielder has been a regular for Villareal this season except for when injured for around 6 weeks earlier in the season playing 10 league games and 3 in the Europa league with a whoscored rating of 7.31.
- Sander Berge - Genk - Current price £1.29 - Already linked with a number of big clubs such as Tottenham & Roma this 20 year old defensive midfielder has a bright future. He has played in 4 of Genk's Europa League games with a goal and a rating of 7.22 and also started 13 league games this season and already has 12 international caps for Norway. Genk have qualified already but need a win to finish top of their group(and avoid Champions League teams such as Inter & Napoli) so he will probably feature on Thursday.
Best picks that meet the criteria are Leandro Trossard, Sander Berge, Dayot Upamecano & Hannes Wolf. Evan Ndicka looks like a solid long term prospect, Patrick Cutrone & Kai Havertz are already established but also have great long term prospects, all other are worth considering for small investments.